Tuesday, January 30, 2007

fairest isle

It's finished! And I am ridiculously in love with it...
Fair isle cosy, finito

FO: Endpaper Fair Isle i-pod cosy


Pattern: Knit in the round, based on Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts fair-isle, and inspired by tragicheroine's iPod sock.
Yarns: Fortissima Socka, in colour 1012 (that's the hot pink), and Sirdar Town & Country 4-ply sock yarn, in colour 154. I used the teeniest scrap; you'd hardly notice I'd touched the skeins.
Needles: Ribbing done on 2mm needles, body on 2.5 mm
Corrugated ribbing
Here's the corrugated ribbing, and the attempted tubular cast-one. There's a row of weeny holes where the ribbing starts, and I'm not sure if that's inevitable with the technique, or whether I've done something wrong (most probable).
Time sucked: Half a day, more or less
Earphones hole
And here's the earphone hole, at the end of the three-needle bind-off, because nanos, confusingly, have the Hold button at one end and the earphone socket at the other.

(I hate earbuds, can't keep them in my ears for the life of me, feel like a complete fool walking down the street trying to cram them into my ears every step I take. Am I alone in this?)

I know it's silly, but although I've knit far more mighty and far more practical projects than this - cardigans, socks, scarves - this tiny scrap of experimental faux-isle makes me prouder than almost anything I've done. Perhaps because of the number of new techniques I've crammed into this miniscule project, perhaps because of its perfect dinkiness - the pattern just the right size for so small an object - or perhaps just because I like shiny consumer electronics.

Next up: learning to fair-isle properly and to strand my yarns in a consistent fashion, instead of at random. But first, the move. The move!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's fabulous! Now I want to make one. Even though I don't have an iPod...

tangelled angel said...

That looks great!
I hate ear bud thingy's too, but find that the sony ones are the better ones for staying in....I've tried almost every other type thats going.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. I adore tubular cast ons, they're so stretchy and neat.

Also, I love the look of fair isle but usually not in actual garments. Though the winter IK has got a Eunny jumper with actually shaping, which helps a lot.

Anonymous said...

You're not alone! The earbuds never worked well for me, although if you can find a really good electronic store they do come in different sizes. (I have small ears :D) I found the in-you-ear-canal ones work so much better and don't fall out, as well as block all outside sound.(I have the Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia's and I love them to death).

Beautiful ipod cozy! I simply love the colors.

Anonymous said...

Good job! The photos make it look deceptively huge ;)

If you can spare time for a coffee before your departure, I've got a pressie for ya (I'm not usually this blatant) :D

Alice said...

Hi, I have absolutely no recollection of how I ended up at your blog, but I'm glad I did. Oh, I remember - a search for Twilley's on Google. That's it.

Anyway, great blog and groovy ipod cover. I wish I could do all that colour stuff. I really like the beret in the Twilley's, by the way.

la glitz said...

Aww, thanks for all your lovely comments! I'm glad you're as madly in love with this silly little cosy as I am!

Jenn said...

That looks lovely! You did a great job on the mini cover!! And cool on learning the tubular cast on.. Ive read about it, but have never tried it!

Life's a Stitch said...

My Twilley's Freedon Spirit has arrived. Nice yarn! Thanks for the recommendation, I know I'll have to buy more,
Li

Anonymous said...

This is really something! I don't have an ipod but I can see the fun in trying all new stuff in the small scale. Looking forward to seeing more of this!